Sunday, February 26, 2023

Frantic new genre notes

 So, as evident with the change of my opening’s plot, I am having to switch my genre as well. Found footage simply does not work with the new story I have planned. Because of this, I have decided to switch to the dramedy (drama-comedy) genre, a personal favourite of mine. I have seen countless dramedy films before, my favourite of which being “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (dir. Wes Anderson, 2014) and “Jojo Rabbit” (dir. Taika Waititi, 2019). 

For the sake of this genre exploration, however, I decided to watch a film I hadn’t seen before: “Little Miss Sunshine” (dir. Valerie Faris and Jonathan Dayton, 2006). I had heard of it once before because of TikTok. You see, when the recent “The Batman” (dir. Matt Reeves, 2022) came out, Paul Dano found a major boost in his career on the platform. Young teenage girls who watched the film were…attracted his character’s charm (I will admit, I do not see it) and established what became known as “The Dano Nation”. They would watch all of his movies and obsess over every little thing about Paul Dano. Did you know he was in a band? I certainly didn’t before the Dano Nation’s founding. 

It was because of this small TikTok community that I learned about “Little Miss Sunshine”. The film revolves around a girl who wants to participate in a beauty pageant, and rallies her dysfunctional family together in order to drive to and participate in one. The film is absolutely amazing, one of the best I’ve seen in recent memory. Here are my notes on it’s first opening minutes. 

My notes on the opening to “Little Miss Sunshine” where I constantly misspelled pageant

As with “Little Miss Sunshine”, I wish to have my opening be character driven. In a hypothetical scenario, the rest of the film would mainly revolve around Joan and the effects quarantine has had on her life. These opening minutes are essential to understanding her character, as well as her struggle. Because of this, I will be drawing a lot on “Little Miss Sunshine” when it comes to both cinematography notes and character introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Film Opening

  And this, dear viewer, is where we part ways. I will leave my project for you here, and disappear into the wild cosmos of the internet. Fa...