Sunday, March 12, 2023

Slight Change in Character

 After some long and deep consideration, I have decided that changing the aesthetic concept of Joan's character would fit more. You see, my target audience with this opening are teenagers of my age who are just as obsessed with popular internet culture as I am. However, having my character be designed around the grunge aesthetic, as much as I love it, is rather alienating. Grunge just simply as popular as it was back in the 90s, but you know what is? Korean pop music. 

I've decided to incorporate  my love for Korean pop music by changing  the original grunge music jam out scene I had planned. Instead of Joan dancing around to grunge music, I will have her attempting to dance to "TT" by TWICE. Mind you, I will not actually be playing the audio, as the process of gaining permission to use the song within my opening is too complicated.

TWICE in the music video for their  2016 song "TT"

I will instead have Joan dancing to the song and humming the lyrics. She will be watching a dance practise video as well; I am still conflicted on to either have the dancing along with a video implied, or reach out to a content creator to gain permission to use their video instead of an official dance practise. Alas, I will keep you posted on this process.

Due to the change from the grunge aesthetic to a more relatable one, I have changed the planned wardrobe for my character. She will be wearing a more relaxed, loungewear type of outfit--complete with house shoes!

Joan's character design; pale grey hoodie, "Akira" (dir. Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988) branded shorts, and house shoes

Something else added to the character design is a Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh necklace my mother bought me a few months ago. It's something I love greatly, and feel I have a great personal attachment to. I feel as if adding it to the design of Joan's character makes her all the more personal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Film Opening

  And this, dear viewer, is where we part ways. I will leave my project for you here, and disappear into the wild cosmos of the internet. Fa...