Sunday, February 26, 2023

And here is where I lay out my heart for you, pulsing and bleeding

 I’m going to be brutally honest with you. I practically despise the story I already have conjured up and planned out. It mainly draws inspiration from a book I haven’t finished reading, which is a problem of grand proportions when it comes to discussing parallel themes. It falls along the found footage genre of film, something that is notoriously known for it’s gritty realism and horror, and I simply don’t like conveying strict realism. I always have some fantastical element that is rather strong in its presentation in the story. To put it bluntly, I can’t do realism. And, of course. there was the problem with the credits too. 

However, all of these pale in comparison the the greatest roadblock in my journey with this project. I just don’t like it. It feels pretentious, like something I would’ve written when I was 15, obsessed with the existential horrors of the SCP Foundation and pouring my heart and soul into supporting the content creators of the Dream SMP. Needless to say, I don’t like looking back on this point in my life. The drama pertaining to my father was just beginning to bubble, all thanks to my grand stupidity, and I was battling with a constant state of depression. A lot of my art at that time reflected that, horror pieces surrounding insanity and eldritch occurrences out of the characters’ control.

I want to branch out of that writing style—I have to branch out of it, which is why I am going to be abandoning my former story idea. This time, it revolved around something that is still personal to me, but in a much more comedic and frustrating way compared to hopelessness depression. Bonus is I don’t have to worry about mis-placed credits anymore.

It will revolve around a young girl named Joan. She’s someone who, despite all of her best efforts, struggles immensely with procrastination (go figure, I’m writing this at practically 1am). She struggles with getting even the simplest homework assignments done, constantly battling with the urges to pursue what she prefers to be doing (i.e. playing video games, drawing, writing, etc.) and what she should be doing. The opening will portray this with the use of heavy editing and stylisation. 

Needless to say, I am much more excited with this story to follow compared to my last one. It feels fresh, like something I’ve never really tapped into before. I cannot wait to begin my pre-production as of tomorrow. You’ll be getting my story boards and rough outline soon, as well as character and setting details. In fact, here is a teaser. 

A small oasis outside the window in my room


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Film Opening

  And this, dear viewer, is where we part ways. I will leave my project for you here, and disappear into the wild cosmos of the internet. Fa...