Sunday, February 26, 2023

Titles and Characters

 Naming is a big task. I should know, I have had the pleasure of naming a lot of different things in my life, ranging from simple objects to characters I hold near and dear to my heart. In fact, when I was younger, I used to claim it was my favourite pastime. I would cycle through characters faster than ever, all for the sole purpose of creating something new and being able to name it. 

An old tactic of mine was to hyperfixate on a name, in which a random name would pop into my head one day and I’d repeat it for months upon months. This mostly generated some great results, such as Willow, Scarlett, and Minerva. It also held some…questionable results, with names like Molly and Milennius (don’t ask how that happened, I don’t know). Recently, however, I have been blessed with a name for the first time what feels like years: Joan. 

Therefore, my main character’s name will be Joan, but I believe I already told you that. Joan will be played by me, and wear more grunge-style clothing, as well as multiple jewellery accessories. She is an artistic kid, who prefers to spend her time writing or drawing. When she isn’t exercising her artistic endeavours, she’s actively consuming artistic media by watching films/tv shows, playing video games, or reading books. She is very expressive, but has lately pulled back in that side of her due to
constantly being down because of her destructive procrastination habits. 
A quick sketch I made of Joan

On the other hand, we have the name of my opening. I decided to dig more into my experiences with intense procrastination, and draw upon what stimulated the worse of my destructive habits. COVID was catastrophic for everyone, but when it came to my personal experience with the virus and quarantine, it practically destroyed my study habits. I’ve been able to rekindle some of them now, but most remain lost in the depths of COVID’s senseless nihilism. 

Since I’m mainly drawing upon post-quarantine experiences for this opening, I’ve decided to name it “Two Years After”. The title details how this takes place in 2022, two years after the initial start of quarantine. 

There is one or two more planned characters that will be appearing vocally (not physically) in my opening, but I’m leaving their creation to the people who play them. One of my friend’s strives in character creation, having helped me with detailing characters for a personal film project once before, so I believe they’d want to be able to come up with their own character. The other person, on the other hand, is just a mom character played by my mom. Nothing really special about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Film Opening

  And this, dear viewer, is where we part ways. I will leave my project for you here, and disappear into the wild cosmos of the internet. Fa...