Sunday, February 19, 2023

Which to choose, which to choose

 This book is interesting,  to say the least.  In my attempt to formulate a cohesive story for my project, I reread the first chapter of this book...again. You see, there is some backstory concerning the relationship I have with "House of Leaves".  When I originally began to read the novel, I had skipped the Introduction assuming it was some sort of drab writing from another accomplished author explaining how wondrous the book is. Then the further I read, I realised just how dense the story really is. I came to the conclusion that I had to start over, both in order to gain the context I know I missed in the Introduction and annotate so I can follow along better. 

Then, this project was announced. Immediately, I knew I wanted to do something following along the horror genre. I also happened to be in the midst of rereading "House of Leaves". I decided then and there that I should do something that draws inspiration from the novel, specifically from the shorts described within the first chapter, "The Five and a Half Minute Hallway" and "Exploration #4". Both, in their own different ways, make for perfect tone-setters and opening scenes for a film. 

So for the third time, I reread the first chapter of "House of Leaves". I took some notes on interesting things I found within the story, and though I initially only planned to do this for my self-imposed assignment, I am going to continue this for the remainder of the book. That is beside the point, however. Here are my notes, most of which taken on a day in which I got 0 hours of sleep due to personal reasons outside of my control. I apologise if they don't make sense. 




My notes on "House of Leaves" Chapter One

Essentially, I have not come to a conclusion on if  I will use "The Five and a Half Minute Hallway" or "Exploration #4" as my main source of inspiration.   Of course, drawing upon "Exploration #4" would make for a more bombastic opening, something so clearly darker and filled with unexplained circumstances. Still, there is something about "The Five and a Half Minute Hallway" that initiates a greater sense of intrigue. 

I am yet to make a decision. Right now, the more likely option seems to be "Exploration #4". Fear not, I will figure it out soon enough. My decision will come as of tomorrow, as first, I believe I should sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Film Opening

  And this, dear viewer, is where we part ways. I will leave my project for you here, and disappear into the wild cosmos of the internet. Fa...